28/9/18 – Report
1. Fields behind Park Farmhouse- we have cleared three large boughs of the veteran oak tree which fell over the weekend, and damaged the fence between the house and Ivor’s field. The tree has lost a further three boughs over the last 12 months. We have instructed our tree surgeon to undertake works to save the tree, which will take place in September.
2. Harlestone Firs – ongoing clearance of windfalls which have fallen, and opening up some of the rides. Clearing of weeds in the newly planted plots to allow new trees to thrive. We now have a felling licence to fell the plantation on the right on Wykes Lane, where a number of pines have fallen in high winds, two onto the road. The area will be replanted.
3. Clearing and spraying the main Park Wall and the wall by The Pheasantry- this happens annually and is ongoing throughout the year.
4. Midshires Way- muddy area under gate by Butchers House has been reported to Nick Wedgerow, Rights of Way Officer. He was out yesterday taking a look.
5. Contractors instructed to tidy up the area by the Phone box and opposite 18 Lower Harlestone. We had instructed our contractor to clear the wall on Port Road, however after going through our archive files, we have found a further conveyance at a later date, where this area was sold to Virginia Cottage. I have spoken to the owners and advised the wall was cleared by us in error.
6. Large section of wall between the Park and Golf Course which fell down due to bad weather has now been rebuilt by the stonemason. Another section has fallen over the weekend and will be repaired over the coming months.
7. Copping stone on the Pheasantry wall by the speed camera is being repaired by stone mason shortly, kindly reported by Sam Dobbs.
8. We have cleared £2,500 of flytipping this month from the Harlestone and Nobottle parish. As the rubbish has been tipped on private land, we are responsible for paying to clear. We have another 4 loads to go over the next month, at a cost of in excess of £2,000.