



Harlestone Parish Council

www.harlestonepc.org

Executive Officer/Clerk to the Council : Paul Thomas
The Old Bakehouse | Harlestone | Northampton | NN7 4EP
harlestoneclerk@btinternet.com

Environment and Management Committee Meeting

19:00 on Wednesday 26th September 2018
Harlestone Village Institute NN7 4EH

MINUTES 001

- REMIT: *This committee will be responsible for the management of the Parish environment to ensure that it is tidy, presentable, free of litter and a place where we are proud to live.*
- DELGATED POWERS: *Decision making for low level items, with an expenditure limit of £150 per item subject to an annual cap of £1000.*
- DECISION MAKING: *At the sole discretion of the chairman, this committee can make decisions on low level items but on more important issues the committee will make recommendations to the full council.*
- STANDING ORDERS: *Relaxed on public debate to encourage participation from members of the Parish.*
- CRITERIA FOR THE E&M COMMITTEE: *Must be in line with the Conservation Management Plan and Harlestone Manor Parks and Open Spaces management company Green Belt.
Cohesive with the future Neighbourhood Plan.
Village rural nature preserved but not sanitised.
Consult with landowners, farmers and parishioners about our actions.*



**Note: EO: the criteria agreed in the last meeting has now been put on to the front of the minutes so everyone can see how the committee will be focused.*

Allocation of the member's roles as a point of contact are at the end of the minutes, this will hopefully help distribute the email communications to the correct committee member.

The H&S rule regarding the use of mechanical/machinery use by volunteers is also at the end of the minutes.

To confirm that committee member Louise Mills looks after the footpaths and bridal ways as a reporting role only.

Cllr Stock is the footpath warden as part of the main HPC and not the E&M Committee.

ITEM 19. ATTENDANCE AND APOLOGIES

Chairman: Cllr Tim Cross

Cllr Russell Francis

Stella Westal

Mark Yoxon

Richard Dyball

Louise Mills

Stewart Clark

Sarah Gyde

- *Louise Mills - pre-planned unavailability*
- *The committee agree to accept the above apologies*

ITEM 20. APPROVAL OF MINUTES FROM THE PREVIOUS MEETING

- *The committee agree that the minutes are a true and accurate account*
- *The Chairman signs the minutes*

ITEM 21. DECLARATION OF INTERESTS

- *No declarations of interest were offered by the members*



ACTIONS FROM THE JULY MEETING

4.1 Consider what action to take in respect of the untidy/potholed parking area close to the entrance to Ivor's field and The Green.

EO to seek permission from Althorp/Highways

MOP: 5 cars parked here at the weekend, parking here is very dangerous for other road users with doors opening into the road. We have 2 very good car parking areas in the village.

Louise: the Church Lane car park is not suitable for general parking on a school day.

EO: this area belongs to Althorp not Highways. It is a verge not a carpark

Russell: to mention this area with Ian Boyes (Highways) on Monday 20th Aug

Russell: met with Ian Boyes of Highways, Ian confirmed that this area is owned by Highways and not owned by Althorp. *Note: (This is obviously a contested area of ownership)

Discussed options for this area:

- Consider posts to identify parking or stop parking
- Parked cars could be a hazard
- Previously trees have been pulled up to extend the parking
- Posts would be accepted by Highways but funded by the HPC
- Top soil could be an option to level this area

Richard: damaging verges is prosecutable in law

Mark: mounds of earth would stop people, but people would probably just move further up the road to park.

Russell: I will action some Cotswold style signs to put on a raised verge for this area

PENDING

4.1 Road up to Manor Farm is potholed and crumbling

EO to notify Althorp and consider options

EO: the road to Manor Farm is adopted by Highways

*Chairman and Russell will meet with Ian Boyes from Highways on Monday to discuss Highways issues and to view areas of the village.

Russell: Ian Boyes confirmed that this whole road is managed by Highways.

Tim: registered with Street Doctor that there had been a trip/fall accident on this road.

CLOSE

4.4 EO to contact Althorp to ask about any schedules for clearing/spraying the Midshires Way (CU9)

EO to request an update from Althorp on when this footpath will be sprayed/cleared

Stewart: we should make a full list of all the areas to be cleared and maintained, we can then put together an annual list to work to.

Louise: we should just keep all the small areas for volunteers.

EO: we must be clear from a H&S view that when volunteers are working around the village that no trimmers, chainsaws or mechanical machinery is used, as this will not be covered by our parish insurance.

EO: this area has been cut, mown and cleared by Althorp.

CLOSE



4.4 EO to write to the GC and explain the situation with the coffee cups, they may need to put a litter notice up at the GC and invest in new bins. Could users bring their own cups?

EO: spoke with Stephanie at the Golf Club re the coffee cups, I was informed that they have a problem with birds emptying the bins, they will look into new bins or new lids. The groundsmen will perform checks of the bins.

Russell: the GC have agreed to clear the gravel/silt in the dip of Golf Lane (frequency to be determined)

Russell: the GC had an initial go at clearing this area, residents reported that this area needed to be further cleared. Had a site meeting with Barry Randalls from the GC and this has now been done successfully.

Raised the issue of wheelie bins with B.Halliday as this road looks like a permanent bin day. Need to consider the bins of the other residents.

PENDING

4.4 Chairman to look into costs for repeater signs/installation and visit the site to view the build-up of silt with a view to an annual removal plan.

Chairman: Nordis cost for 6 repeater signs is £188.82

Note: a budget of £120 had already been set and agreed by the HPC council, this committee agrees to purchasing the full 6 signs with the extra cost of up to the full £188.82, chairman to order asap. This is inline with the committees £150 max spend per item guidelines.

Tim: the signs are all in hand and we are waiting for delivery. B.Halliday agreed to install the signs with the help of the residents

PENDING

5.1 EO to contact the Heart Foundation/EMAS to find 3 suitable external heated boxes to purchase asap

EO: I have ordered and paid for these boxes, delivery date is tomorrow

EO: we now need to consider locations, permissions and installations

Stewart: we need to consider a maintenance schedule/check schedule

EO: the heated boxes have arrived, need to finalise the locations for installation. Will meet with Tudor Davies to confirm the HVI location.

Estimated cost of installation is circa £120 per box inc materials. Spend already agreed in the budget.

EO: will contact the Fox & Hounds to confirm the external location of the heated box.

Russell: the telephone boxes would make a good future location.

EO: EMAS East Midlands Ambulance Service contacted the EO to confirm whether the HVI Defib had been used after a 999 call was received for this area.

PENDING

5.2 Chairman to visit existing bins to check for condition and quantity of salt, to consider if we need any more?

Chairman: all of the bins have salt apart from Crosshill which is only ¼ full and are in good condition, we have an email requesting a grit bin to be placed on Golf Lane. The bins cost £80

MOP: the public and the GC would both benefit from this bin

Mark: I believe that the GC should pay towards this

MOP: there are no grit bins on Harlestone Manor



Stewart: we need a bin on HM near the park as this road is steep, this could be a problem with Green Belt

EO: any new grit bins placed on Althorp land will need written permission

Louise: please consider a new bin near the telephone box on the A428

Tim: a grit bin on the A428 being a major road is dangerous and is also on a salting route. This will not be pursued.

The GC has offered a free salt bin for Golf Lane, location identified by B.Halliday next to the treatment tank. The HPC will fill this bin with salt.

EO: Althorp will need to confirm this location is suitable. I will confirm the cost of the salt bags.

PENDING

5.3 EO to contact the NCC to find out if they will fund new bins and will continue to fill the current ones.

EO: NCC will not fund new bins. Street Doctor will need to be called to refill the bins. Salt bin wardens to be considered

PENDING

5.4 EO to chase the noticeboard quote

EO: the cost of the noticeboards is £900, one for UH on posts and one in LH on the wall next to the telephone box, installation permission will be needed. We need to buy 2 x pin boards.

MOP: can get cheaper pin boards, EO to email the dimensions

EO: should be completed within 2 weeks, Althorp have agreed to the locations

Chairman: the noticeboard for HM is pending due to Green Belt issues.

PENDING

5.5 S.Westall to action the dog bin relocation and new installation and bring information/costs back to the committee

Stella: no movement on this so far, the DDC have new contractors and the person I need to speak to is on holiday

Stella: the bin has been moved by myself after receiving permission from the authorities. Moved to the other side of the HVI.

The written permission to be emailed to the EO to be filed.

PENDING

6.0 Cross Hill

EO to ask Althorp if this would be a suitable location for the WW1 commemorative Oak Tree

EO: to double check with Althorp that this location is suitable?

Chairman/Russell: the Highways will pay to take the tree down, will raise this at the Monday meeting, the tree is full of disease.

MOP: perhaps a slice of the tree could be engraved and mounted somewhere?

Russell: Ian Boyes has agreed to take down the tree before armistice day. We are not going to go for railings. The armistice working party will look to purchasing a plaque.

EO: to confirm that Althorp will kindly supply an Oak Tree.

PENDING



<p>6.0 Cross Hill</p> <p>RF to look into costs for a plaque and for railings. Russell: the plaque costs are circs £150</p> <p>See above Action</p> <p style="text-align: right;">CLOSE</p>
<p>6.1 Yew Tree</p> <p>EO to ask Althorp for their advice and possible help with maintenance and rabbit fencing EO: the location needs to be identified to the estate and they will ask their qualified head forrester to look at it.</p> <p>Russell: I would like an update from Althorp regarding this tree and to see the report. Tim: it has survived a 1000 years, so maybe it is best left alone</p> <p style="text-align: right;">PENDING</p>
<p>7.0 RF to contact Highways for possible solutions for verge wear and tear</p> <p>Russell: many verges get damaged especially over winter, a 20mph restriction is not possible. Maybe more signs saying keep off the verges. Richard: most damage is done on a Thursday from the bin lorries as they drive over the verges. *Note: photo evidence needs to be collected to back up an official complaint.</p> <p style="text-align: right;">PENDING</p>

ACTIONS FROM THE AUGUST MEETING

<p>Sarah:</p> <ul style="list-style-type: none">• To organise litter picks and feed-back ideas to the Chairman (consent will not be given on Estate land)• A428 around the Wyvale parking layby• Litter Bins - Entrance road into Harlestone Manor and at the bus stops either side of the A428 <p>Sarah: can I ask why we need consent from Althorp? EO: any land owned by Althorp will need permission, because this is private property and because volunteers will not be insured working on estate land. Sarah: below is a framework to work with</p> <ul style="list-style-type: none">• Gain consents and permissions• Publicise awareness to get volunteers involved• Social media, website, noticeboards, area champions• Upper Harlestone Champion – Sarah Gyde• Lower Harlestone Champion – TBC• Harlestone Manor Champion – Stewart Clark• Dates to be identified• Create a WhatsApp group• Equipment from DDC: litter pick kits for up to 20 people include: bags, hoops,
--



grabbers, gloves and Hi-Viz

- *Need to let the DDC know where the full bags will be collected from, possibly the rear of the HVI*
- *Initial meeting in the HVI carpark, briefing, H&S and hand out equipment*
- *Agree max 2hrs at a time*
- *Rural England – Risk Assessment Form to be completed*
- *Be aware of dangerous objects including: drugs, syringes, glass and medical*
- *De-brief at the end of the litter pick*
- *Check any restrictions regarding speed limits of roads*
- *Use of safety cones*
- *First litter pick in October*
- *Names and contact numbers of volunteers to be collected by S.Gyde and kept on record by the Clerk under GDPR regulations*

PENDING

Stella:

- *Dog Bin overflowing at the entrance to the Firs, is this facility adequate?*

Stella: there is a super-sized dog bin here which is adequate. However, the general bin is just a black bin bag on a metal frame. As this is Althorp land would they consider a bin that would separate plastic, glass and metal as well as general waste?

PENDING

Stella:

- *HVI Green and Verge, replacement posts*
- *To get a quote for the wooden posts needed*

Stella: we have 9 posts on the verge, 52 posts on the green. R.Dyball initially installed them and is happy to replace any damaged ones.

Quote: guide price £7.50 per post (6ft x 4" x 4")

Costs to be proposed at the next HPC meeting 4th October

PENDING

EO:

- *EO: to continue the dialogue with Althorp and secure the allotments for the parish.*

EO: we previously agreed to accept the kind offer from Althorp to manage the allotments in Upper Harlestone which will be available for the whole parish.

On Wednesday 17th October I will be attending an NCALC training to learn about managing and legislation regarding allotments.

PENDING

EO:

- *MOP were concerned about the 3000 bulbs planted throughout UH along the verges as Gigaclear are digging this area up. Could the cable gully be dug nearer to the road rather than the wall where the bulbs are?*
- *EO: to contact Gigaclear asap*



EO: spoken with the project manager of Gigaclear the next day to ask if the digging could be done carefully and sympathetically regarding the bulbs. The workforce were then immediately contacted and I believe this was carried out. We have received no emails of complaint from the public.

CLOSE

EO update:

- *The vegetation including Budlias are hanging over the wall and across the path on the A428 opposite the Old House in LH. Weeds are overgrown in the Blacksmiths Yard. What is happening with the large cut down tree in the garden above the Blacksmiths Yard?*

EO: I can confirm that Althorp have scheduled the A428 area to be cleared on Sat 20th October weather permitting.

Blacksmiths Yard has been cleared by Althorp. I believe that the tree in the garden above is on private land and not the responsibility of the Estate.

PENDING

DISCUSSION ITEMS

**Note to Chairman: Neil Mitchell has emailed the EO to volunteer for litter picking, planting and for general village help*

ITEM 22. Committee to consider the following project to be put forward to receive a Daventry funding grant

Chairman:

Speed hump traffic controls to be installed in Upper Harlestone on the road up to the Village Institute.

Tim:

- *We need speed humps in UH to slow the traffic down.*

Richard:

- *The football traffic speed through the village after a game, the roads in UH are very narrow.*

Russell:

- *The DDC categorically said that speed humps and a reduction of speed to 20mph would not be considered anywhere in the village*

Tim:

- *I will contact Ian Boyes from Highways to ask again about speed humps for Upper Harlestone.*



Stella:

- *Could the footpath from the UH green (Nursery Corner) down the hill be tarmaced to stop having to walk on mud.*

Russell:

- *I wrote a report on 2 walls that are Althorp's responsibility, but have been neglected. These walls are located along New Road next to the quarry and near Virginia Cottage. Perhaps the grant could be used to rebuild these walls.*

Tim:

- *This was an excellent report and it raises the importance of being in a Conservation Area.*

ITEM 23. Risk of winter stream flooding

In the 600 metres between the wall across the road from 102, Virginia Cottage to The Grange there is only about 20 to 30 metres of stream visible. For the majority of the distance the stream is completely hidden due to total coverage of vegetation, especially the final 200 metres before The Grange. This is not vegetation overhanging from the bank, it is dense foliage growing in the stream bed. Reported by Tudor.AD

EO:

- *To contact Althorp regarding this area, to find out about ownership/maintenance and whether this could be a volunteer project.*

Richard:

- *There is a metal grid that is full and needs clearing.*

ITEM 24. Village Walk No.2

Chairman: update and possible actions needed

Tim:

- *I plan to walk Harlestone Manor with Stewart Clark to list any actions/issues and to familiarise myself with this area. Date TBC.*



ITEM 25. General Maintenance

(Grass cutting of verges, open spaces, maintenance of hedgerows, footpaths/bridleways, litter collection, dog fouling)

Discussion Notes:

- *Church wall cleared*
- *HVI – new posts*
- *2 x Acco boards (60cm x 90cm) need to be purchased (circa £55.00 each)*

- *Golf Lane signs ordered, grit bin relocation*
- *Louise Mills: Two areas need clearing*
 1. *From the well to Manor Farm*
 2. *Opposite The Old Bakehouse up to the Bramptons turn*

- *Church wall stones missing*

EO:

- *The Chairman noticed stones missing during a village walk. G.Mortimer believes they could have been missing for many years.*
- *Need to try and identify whether this is part of the Althorp wall or C.Clayson's wall and consider repairs.*

- *Large wind damaged branch overhanging the Church Lane reported by Martin.B*

EO:

- *Reported by Martin.B, large branch hanging loose near the Church Lane, could the Althorp forester check for safety*

Tim:

- *I would like the committee to be part of the dog fouling spray project, this identifies the mess for adults & children and then shames owners who don't pick up after themselves. This is a bio-degradable spray in bright orange.*

Stella:

- *A quote for this is circa £10 per can (to be placed on to the agenda for the HPC 4th October meeting)*

**Note: It was agreed that Stewart Clark would take on the action to find locations for a noticeboard, dog bin and a defibrillator at Harlestone Manor as part of the HM working party set up to engage with Green Belt.*



Tim:

- *Could 4 areas be looked at for ownership/maintenance:*
- *From the ford in LH up to Manor Farm, area needs tidying/clearing. (Althorp/volunteers?)*
- *Opposite the Bakehouse along the path up to the Bramptons turning, path full of soil/weeds, overhanging foliage and the hedge at the top needs trimming. (Althorp/Highways?)*
- *Garlic Wood is full of piles of tree protectors (Althorp/volunteers?)*
- *From the sty near the ford to the Golf Club lake (Althorp/volunteers?)*

- **Manor Farm**

Mark:

- *Manor Farm: should there be planning permission to take a gate away and block this up with a wall, also the old wooden hut at the front of the house has been pulled down.*

Tim:

- *The house and buildings are being worked on.*

Russell:

- *This is being done in a Conservation Area and the Conservation Officer should be contacted, once a building is down there is nothing we can do.*

Tim:

- *I agree that the Conservation Officer should be notified as this is one of the oldest buildings in the village.*

**Note: the committee vote and agree that the (CO) Rachael Booth should be contacted.*

Mark:

- *I don't believe that there is a listing for the ford and the bridge in LH.*

Tim:

- *I will check the official listings and the architectural/historical list, if it is not on either then we could apply.*

Russell:

- *During the village walk it was identified that the verge from East Lodge down to the speed camera was very overgrown and needed strimming.*



**Note: the EO was asked to get quotes for the following areas to be strimmed and blown:*

- *East Lodge to the speed camera*
- *Opposite the Old Bakehouse to the Bramptons (inc path cleared)*
- *From the LH bus stop to the Firs*
- *From the Firs to Harlestone Manor*

**Note: could Althorp ask the farmer to trim the hedgerows around the fields at either end of the Lower Harlestone A428 please.*

Mark:

- *The DDC Tree Policy is 8 years old, I will make contact to arrange a meeting to discuss the trees in the village.*

Tim:

- *Remember that Althorp do an outstanding job of managing trees in the parish.*

Meeting Duration: 2hrs 46ins

- | | |
|--|--------------------------------|
| • <i>Road/Village Signs</i> | <i>Chairman</i> |
| • <i>Dog Bins</i> | <i>Stella</i> |
| • <i>Grass mowing/verge maintenance/hedgerows</i> | <i>Russell</i> |
| • <i>Footpaths/bridalways</i> | <i>Louise (Reporting Role)</i> |
| • <i>Inventory of Parish fixtures and fittings</i> | <i>Executive Officer</i> |
| • <i>Grit Bins</i> | <i>Chairman</i> |
| • <i>Noticeboards</i> | <i>Executive Officer</i> |
| • <i>Litter Bins (HM)</i> | <i>Chairman</i> |
| • <i>Trees</i> | <i>Mark</i> |
| • <i>Walls</i> | <i>Russell</i> |
| • <i>Traveller Risk (HM)</i> | <i>Stewart</i> |
| • <i>Harlestone as a visitor attraction/management</i> | <i>TBC</i> |
| • <i>Litter Picks</i> | <i>Sarah</i> |
| • <i>Althorp</i> | <i>Executive Officer</i> |
| • <i>Golf Club</i> | <i>Russell</i> |

- *Note: volunteers working in the village on behalf of the HPC **MUST NOT** use mechanical/machinery including mowers, strimmers and chainsaws*



**Next Meeting Dates:
2018 21.Nov, 19.Dec
2019 02.Jan, 20.Feb, 20.Mar, 15.Apr
19:00 at the Harlestone Village Institute**

Paul Thomas – Executive Officer
Dated: 6th October 2018

Signature:

Executive Officer/Clerk: Paul OR Thomas

Signature:

Chairman: Cllr Tim Cross