



# Harlestone Parish Council

www.harlestonepc.org

Executive Officer/Clerk to the Council : Paul Thomas  
The Old Bakehouse | Harlestone | Northampton | NN7 4EP  
harlestoneclerk@btinternet.com

## Environment and Management Committee Meeting

19:00 on Wednesday 17<sup>th</sup> October 2018  
Harlestone Village Institute NN7 4EH

### MINUTES 002

- REMIT: *This committee will be responsible for the management of the Parish environment to ensure that it is tidy, presentable, free of litter and a place where we are proud to live.*
- DELGATED POWERS: *Decision making for low level items, with an expenditure limit of £150 per item subject to an annual cap of £1000.*
- DECISION MAKING: *At the sole discretion of the chairman, this committee can make decisions on low level items but on more important issues the committee will make recommendations to the full council.*
- STANDING ORDERS: *Relaxed on public debate to encourage participation from members of the Parish.*
- CRITERIA FOR THE E&M COMMITTEE: *Must be in line with the Conservation Management Plan and Harlestone Manor Parks and Open Spaces management company Green Belt.  
Cohesive with the future Neighbourhood Plan.  
Village rural nature preserved but not sanitised.  
Consult with landowners, farmers and parishioners about our actions.*



## **ITEM 26. ATTENDANCE AND APOLOGIES**

*Chairman: Cllr Tim Cross*

*Cllr Russell Francis*

*Stella Westal*

*Mark Yoxon*

*Richard Dyball*

*Louise Mills*

*Stewart Clark*

*Sarah Gyde*

*Richard Dyball pre-planned unavailability*

*Louise Mills pre-planned unavailability*

*Stewart Clark work commitments*

*The committee agree to accept the above apologies*

## **ITEM 27. APPROVAL OF MINUTES FROM THE PREVIOUS MEETING**

*The committee agree that the minutes are a true and accurate account*

*The Chairman signs the minutes*

## **ITEM 28. DECLARATION OF INTERESTS**

*No declarations of interest were offered by the members*

## **ACTIONS**



#### 4.1 July 2018

Consider what action to take in respect of the untidy/potholed parking area close to the entrance to Ivor's field and The Green.

*\*Note: (This is a contested area of responsibility)*

*Consider posts to identify parking or stop parking, parked cars could be a hazard, previously trees have been pulled up to extend the parking, posts would be accepted by Highways but funded by the HPC, top soil could be an option to level this area*

*Richard: damaging verges is prosecutable in law*

*Russel: I will action some Cotswold style signs to put on a raised verge for this area*

*EO: Althorp believe that they are responsible for this area of land, Highways believe they are, while there is some uncertainty with responsibility, no posts/ signs are to be erected.*

*Russell: we agreed that this area is not to be a carpark, we would like to restore the verge, acquiring top soil to level and fill the pot holes. The carpark sign at the church says church users only, can we remove this?*

*EO: This is a public car park for all to use.*

*Tim: We should make sure that the PCSO knows about this area.*

*EO: Althorp and the school to made aware that this sign is being considered to be removed.*

*Stella: I believe that the Golf Club are to install a barrier on Golf Lane.*

*Russell: We should consider a temporary sign to redirect cars to the HVI and Church Lane car parks, in the spring level the area with topsoil and seed, place no parking signs.*

*Mark: Any new signage for the Church Lane carpark should not be put on to the listed pillars at the entrance.*

*Tim: All new signage will be for a future agenda item.*

**PENDING**

#### 4.4 July 2018

*Russell: Raised the issue of wheelie bins with B.Halliday as this road looks like a permanent bin day. Need to consider the bins of the other residents.*

*Russell: Just monitor and gently inform the residents.*

**PENDING**

#### o July 2018

*Tim: To look into costs for repeater signs/installation and visit the site to view the build-up of silt with a view to an annual removal plan. Nordis cost for 6 repeater signs is £188.82*

*Note: a budget of £120 had already been set and agreed by the HPC council, this committee.*

*The signs are all in hand and we are waiting for delivery. B.Halliday agreed to install the signs with the help of the residents.*

*EO: Payment made to Nordis on the 27<sup>th</sup> September 2018*

**PENDING**

#### July 2018

*EO to action 3 suitable external heated boxes to be purchased.*



Estimated cost of installation is circa £120 per box inc materials. Spend already agreed in the budget.

EO spoke with Becky from the Fox and Hounds, happy to have installation on the front of the pub and understand, that that there will be a small electricity cost. The HVI installation will be on the rear of the building next to the car park.

EO to contact R.Booth to check that this complies with the DDC rules/regs.

EO: I have checked that the HVI defib is in a ready to use state as this unit was scrambled for use by EMAS. Green tick as it should be and photos sent to EMAS.

**PENDING**

July 2018

Chairman to visit existing bins to check for condition and quantity of salt, to consider if we need any more?

Chairman: all of the bins have salt apart from Crosshill which is only ¼ full and are in good condition, we have an email requesting a grit bin to be placed on Golf Lane. The bins cost £80

Tim: Many Cllrs attended the recent cabinet meeting and there was a public outcry regarding salt bin filling, the NCC contract is going to be looked at again. HM requested a salt bin.

Russell: I contacted the Golf Club to move the salt bin to Park Farm Barns.

**PENDING**

July 2018

EO to contact the NCC to find out if they will fund new bins and will continue to fill the current ones. NCC will not fund new bins. Street Doctor will need to be called to refill the bins. Salt bin wardens to be considered.

EO: Could we nominate salt bin wardens?

Tim: To drive round and list the numbers on the bins and then these numbered bins can be allocated to committee members.

**PENDING**

July 2018

EO to chase the noticeboard quote

EO: the cost of the noticeboards is £900, one for UH on posts and one in LH on the wall next to the telephone box, installation permission will be needed. We need to buy 2 x pin boards.

MOP: can get cheaper pin boards, EO to email the dimensions

EO: should be completed within 2 weeks, Althorp have agreed to the locations

EO: Great news I can confirm that the noticeboards are complete and will be installed this week, I would like to thank Kevin Twelthtree and his colleague for a good job.

**CLOSE**

July 2018

S.Westall to action the dog bin relocation and new installation and bring information/costs back to the committee

Stella: no movement on this so far, the DDC have new contractors and the person I need to speak to is on holiday



*Stella: the bin has been moved by myself after receiving permission from the authorities. Moved to the other side of the HVI.  
The written permission to be emailed to the EO to be filed.*

**CLOSE**

*6.0 July 2018  
Cross Hill*

*Russell: Ian Boyes has agreed to take down the tree before armistice day. We are not going to go for railings. The armistice working party will look to purchasing a plaque.  
EO: Confirmed that Althorp will kindly supply an Oak Tree.*

*Russell: No development from the NCC to remove the dying tree. Louise Mills is sorting the WW1 commemorative plaque.*

*EO: Althorp will supply an Oak Tree in a 45 ltr tub with a stake and a guard a week before the armistice event to commemorate the WW1 event.*

*\*Note: The tree needs to be planted in November to make sure that it roots and survives; alternative locations could be at the HVI or at the playing fields.*

**PENDING**

*6.1 July 2018  
Yew Tree*

*Russell: I would like an update from Althorp regarding this tree and to see the report.  
Tim: it has survived a 1000 years, so maybe it is best left alone.*

*Althorp:*

*Yew trees have suffered over the summer with the extremely dry weather along with many other veteran trees.*

*This Yew tree is extremely old and classed as a veteran. It's only a public right of way and hence isn't harming anyone being left as it is. Veteran trees make excellent habitats for wildlife and birds, in particular barn owls. We always leave them where possible, including in the Althorp Park. Whilst they may not always look the "best" this is far outweighed by the environment benefits.*

**CLOSE**

*7.0 RF to contact Highways for possible solutions for verge wear and tear*

*Russell: many verges get damaged especially over winter, a 20mph restriction is not possible. Maybe more signs saying keep off the verges.*

*Richard: most damage is done on a Thursday from the bin lorries as they drive over the verges.*

*\*Note: photo evidence needs to be collected to back up an official complaint.*

**CLOSE**

*August 2018*

*Sarah: below is a framework to work with  
Gain consents and permissions  
Publicise awareness to get volunteers involved*



*Social media, website, noticeboards, area champions*

*Upper Harlestone Champion – Sarah Gyde*

*Lower Harlestone Champion – TBC*

*Harlestone Manor Champion – Stewart Clark*

*Dates to be identified*

*Create a WhatsApp group*

*Equipment from DDC: litter pick kits for up to 20 people include: bags, hoops, grabbers, gloves and Hi-Viz*

*Need to let the DDC know where the full bags will be collected from, possibly the rear of the HVI*

*Initial meeting in the HVI carpark, briefing, H&S and hand out equipment*

*Agree max 2hrs at a time*

*Rural England – Risk Assessment Form to be completed*

*Be aware of dangerous objects including: drugs, syringes, glass and medical*

*De-brief at the end of the litter pick*

*Check any restrictions regarding speed limits of roads*

*Use of safety cones*

*First litter pick in October*

*Names and contact numbers of volunteers to be collected by S.Gyde and kept on record by the Clerk under GDPR regulations*

*Sarah: Leaflets have been delivered throughout the parish. We have 22 volunteers so far. Kit booked with the DDC*

*Need to identify hot spots, arrange for the DDC to collect rubbish after the event.*

*Risk assessments have been downloaded and will be completed before the event.*

*100 Hi-Viz bibs have been ordered with a printed logo.*

*EO: To email locations to Althorp. To confirm the HPC has Public Liability and Employers Liability Insurance Cover for £10million each.*

*I believe that the council should reimburse Sarah Gyde for her leaflet printing costs. Invoice to be presented at the December HPC meeting for authorisation. Committee agree.*

*\*Note: Sarah Gyde will keep the volunteers contact details after asking for permission as the DPO under GDPR regulations.*

**PENDING**

*August 2018*

*Stella:*

*Dog Bin overflowing at the entrance to the Firs, is this facility adequate?*

*Stella: there is a super-sized dog bin here which is adequate. However, the general bin is just a black bin bag on a metal frame. As this is Althorp land would they consider a bin*



*that would separate plastic, glass and metal as well as general waste?*

*Stella: To ask the DDC again if they service the bins and ask for a larger bin.*

*EO: Might it be better to consider a black and a blue wheelie bin?*

**PENDING**

*August 2018*

*Stella:*

*HVI Green and Verge, replacement posts*

*To get a quote for the wooden posts needed*

*Stella: we have 9 posts on the verge, 52 posts on the green. R.Dyball initially installed them and is happy to replace any damaged ones.*

*Quote: guide price £7.50 per post (6ft x 4" x 4")*

*Costs to be proposed at the next HPC meeting 4<sup>th</sup> October*

*Tim: 2.4m posts were bought to be sawn into 3 posts. R.Dyball to install where and when necessary. Cost circa £48*

*EO: a few posts on the green also need to be replaced*

**CLOSE**

*August 2018*

*EO: to continue the dialogue with Althorp and secure the allotments for the parish.*

*EO: we previously agreed to accept the kind offer from Althorp to manage the allotments in Upper Harlestone which will be available for the whole parish.*

*On Wednesday 17<sup>th</sup> October I will be attending an NCALC training to learn about managing and legislation regarding allotments.*

*EO: Althorp are fully aware that the HPC would like to take on the allotments; a contract will be drawn up.*

*EO attended a course designed to help Clerk's administer an allotment project. Two books were recommended. Membership of the National Allotment Society, this will help us with contracts, managing and the legal regulations regarding finances, land and disputes.*

**PENDING**

*August 2018*

*EO update:*

*The vegetation including Buddleias are hanging over the wall and across the path on the A428 opposite the Old House in LH. Weeds are overgrown in the Blacksmiths Yard.*

*EO: Althorp have scheduled the A428 area to be cleared with weather and Gigaclear traffic lights and road lane closures permitting.*



**PENDING**

## SEPTEMBER ACTIONS

### Action 1

**Mark:**

*The DDC Tree Policy is 8 years old, I will make contact to arrange a meeting to discuss the trees in the village.*

**Tim:**

*Remember that Althorp do an outstanding job of managing trees in the parish.*

*Mark: meeting with the DDC on 31<sup>st</sup> October.*

*EO: a large population of trees in the village belong to the estate, all fall within the conservation area, you cannot cut down trees that have a diameter of 75mm at a height of 1.5m tall without prior consent from DDC and Althorp. This applies to all members of the council including volunteers and the public.*

**PENDING**

### Action 2

*EO: could Althorp ask the farmer to trim the hedgerows around the fields at either end of the Lower Harlestone A428 please.*

*Althorp: we are only allowed to cut hedges from 1<sup>st</sup> September to the 1<sup>st</sup> March, all estate hedges will be cut within this time. Tennant farmers are responsible to cut their own hedgerows.*

**CLOSE**

### Action 3

*EO was asked to get quotes for the following areas to be strimmed and blown:*

*East Lodge to the speed camera*

*Quote: £180 Russell proposes that this work is done, Mark seconds. Costs to come out of the POS budget.*

*Opposite the Old Bakehouse to the Bramptons (inc path cleared)*

*Quote: £180 Pending*

*From the LH bus stop to the Firs path clearance only*





*From the Firs to Harlestone Manor path clearance only  
Althorp to confirm that they are happy with the above two path clearances being done?*

**PENDING**

**Action 4**

**Mark:**

*I don't believe that there is a listing for the ford and the bridge in LH.*

**Tim:**

*I will check the official listings and the architectural/historical list, if it is not on either then we could apply.*

*The Ford and the Bridge both belong to the Althorp Estate.*

**CLOSE**

**Action 5**

*Could 4 areas be looked at for ownership/maintenance:*

*From the ford in LH up to Manor Farm, area needs tidying/clearing.*

*(Althorp/volunteers?)*

*Opposite the Bakehouse along the path up to the Bramptons turning, path full of soil/weeds, overhanging foliage and the hedge at the top needs trimming.*

*(Althorp/Highways?)*

*Garlic Wood is full of piles of tree protectors (Althorp/volunteers?)*

*From the sty near the ford to the Golf Club lake (Althorp/volunteers?)*

*Althorp: please see the attached work schedule update Appendix A*

**PENDING**

**Action 6**

*Large wind damaged branch overhanging the Church Lane reported*

*Reported by Martin.B, large branch hanging loose near the Church Lane, could the Althorp forester check for safety*

*Complete*

**CLOSE**

**Action 7**



**Church Wall Stone Missing**

*The Chairman noticed stones missing during a village walk. G.Mortimer believes they could have been missing for many years.*

*Need to try and identify whether this is part of the Althorp wall or C.Clayson's wall and consider repairs.*

*Russell: the right corner of the Church Lane car park has a damaged wall that is in poor repair.*

*Tim: spoke with Colin and this seems to be an Althorp wall that has stones missing.*

**PENDING**

**Action8**

**Agenda item 23. Risk of winter stream flooding**

*In the 600 metres between the wall across the road from 102, Virginia Cottage to The Grange there is only about 20 to 30 metres of stream visible. For the majority of the distance the stream is completely hidden due to total coverage of vegetation, especially the final 200 metres before The Grange. This is not vegetation overhanging from the bank, it is dense foliage growing in the stream bed. Reported by Tudor.AD*

**EO:**

*To contact Althorp regarding this area, to find out about ownership/maintenance and whether this could be a volunteer project.*

**Richard:**

*There is a metal grid that is full and needs clearing.*

*Althorp: The metal grid under the bridge is Highways responsibility, the stream bed is managed on an annual schedule by the Estate.*

**CLOSE**

**DISCUSSION ITEMS**

**ITEM 29. Committee to consider the following project to be put forward to receive a Daventry funding grant**

*EO: what kind of projects can this grant fund?*

*Projects considered/discussed to get funding for:*

*Tim: speed hump traffic controls to be installed in Upper Harlestone on the road up to the Village Institute to slow the traffic. Highways to be contacted for permission.*



*Stella: could the footpath from the UH green (Nursery Corner) down the hill be tarmaced to stop having to walk on mud.*

*Russell: wrote a report on 2 walls that are Althorp's responsibility. These walls are located along New Road next to the quarry and near Virginia Cottage. Perhaps the grant could be used to rebuild these walls.*

*Tim:*

*Highways have totally dismissed the idea of speed humps through Upper Harlestone so this is a non starter.*

*Stella:*

*I will get a quote for a gravel path with wooden siddings*

*Russell:*

*I will look into funding for wall repairs*

*EO:*

*Just a reminder that any work on walls and footpaths would need the full permission of the Estate.*

### **ITEM 30. Village Walk No.3 Harlestone Manor**

*Chairman: update and possible actions needed*

*Tim:*

*Please leave as an agenda item as this has not happened as yet.*

### **ITEM 31. General Maintenance**

*(Grass cutting of verges, open spaces, maintenance of hedgerows, footpaths/bridleways, litter collection, dog fouling)*

*Discussion Notes:*

*Consider a project to look at footpaths, bridal ways and other walkways that need maintenance that would benefit the parish (possible use of CIL money) – item raised by Cllr Stock*

*Russell: Permit for the HPC to use the NCC Waste Recycling Centre*



*Give Way sign positioned at the top of Golf Lane on the A428 has faded and needs replacing. Reported to Street Doctor. Urgent*

*Consider a Maintenance Programme for walls, hedgerows, trees, footpaths, fences and signs etc.*

*Possible location for two additional dog bins.*

*Russell:*

*I will start a maintenance program report that other committee members can add items and their own reports, to include walls, gates, lighting, salt bins, signs, trees.*

*It was a no from the NCC to myself and the Clerk regarding a council permit for the tipping of collected and managed waste at the local recycling centre.*

*EO:*

*New rules apply at the recycling centre, vehicles are identified as commercial if they do not have rear seats and full glass to the sides and the rear. So vans, pickups and panelled 4x4s now require a permit, cars with a trailer are now classed as commercial and also need a permit.*

*A permit for one vehicle per household entitles you to 6 tips per year only!*

*We need to step up and be vigilant as fly tipping will be on the increase.*

*Tim:*

*A new bin on Manor Farm Lane is being considered, owners and Althorp will need to be contacted regarding a suitable location.*

*A new bin near Virginia Cottage will also be considered, I will consult with the local residents to make sure that this is suitable.*

### **ITEM 32. Dog Fouling Project Update**

*The committee to be part of the dog fouling spray project, this identifies the mess for adults & children and then shames owners who don't pick up after themselves. This is a bio-degradable spray in bright orange.*

*EO to purchase 6 orange spray cans for the project.*

### **ITEM 33. Manor Farm Update**

*Possibly one of the oldest buildings in the village.*

*Note: the committee voted and agreed that the (CO) Rachael Booth should be contacted.*

*EO:*



*Very positive meeting with the new owners of Manor Farm and the HPC  
Rachael Booth was contacted and good communication is now taking place regarding  
planning applications.*

*Meeting Duration: 2hrs 37mins*

*\*Note: Environment and Management meetings will now take place every other month,  
alternating with the Safety and Protection meetings.*

*Road/Village Signs*

*Dog Bins*

*Grass mowing/verge maintenance/hedgerows*

*Footpaths/bridalways*

*Inventory of Parish fixtures and fittings*

*Grit Bins*

*Noticeboards*

*Litter Bins (HM)*

*Trees*

*Walls*

*Traveller Risk (HM)*

*Harlestone as a visitor attraction/management*

*Litter Picks*

*Althorp*

*Golf Club*

*Chairman*

*Stella*

*Russell*

*Louise (Reporting Role)*

*Executive Officer*

*Chairman*

*Executive Officer*

*Chairman*

*Mark*

*Russell*

*Stewart*

*TBC*

*Sarah*

*Executive Officer*

*Russell*

*Note: volunteers working in the village on behalf of the HPC **MUST NOT** use  
mechanical/machinery including mowers, strimmers and chainsaws*

**Next Meeting Dates:**  
**21.Nov 2018**  
**16.Jan, 20.Mar, 19.Jun 2019**  
**19:00 at the Harlestone Village Institute**



**Paul Thomas – Executive Officer**

Dated: 4<sup>th</sup> November 2018

Signature: .....

Executive Officer/Clerk: Paul OR Thomas

Signature: .....

Chairman: Cllr Tim Cross

## *Appendix A*

### *Althorp Work Schedule Update*

*Church Lane – we have removed two limbs overhanging the road, which were dangerous on the left hand side. However, the right hand side does not belong to the Estate, there is a large oak tree which has dropped some limbs historically and there appears to be some dead. The owner might want to get it checked.*

*Pheasantry wall – we have cleared the inside of the wall, and removed overhanging vegetation. There is some ivy which has been cut, when dead it will be pulled off.*



*Permissive footpath from the Ford to the Golf Course and round to the Church car park has been mown, tidied up. Please note this is permissive, not an actual right of way.*

*Willow Paddock – opposite Manor Farm has been topped for winter.*

*Harlestone Firs – windblown trees over the rides have been removed, including on the permissive paths.*

*Slate pit plantation, Wykes Lane – the cut fence reported by Graham Mortimer has been fixed. It was cut with wire cutters.*

*Onion Spinney – Some tree guards have been removed, remainder will be done this week.*

*Footpath from opposite the Pheasantry, past the Quarry has been topped. Some of the hedge is encroaching on the path, the Foresters will clear this.*

*The Pheasantry wall – stonemason has been instructed to replace the coping stone and repair the driveway section, which is starting to fall.*

*Wall over bridge by 16 Lower Harlestone – repairs completed. It has been hit by a vehicle.*