



Harlestone Parish Council

www.harlestonepc.org

Executive Officer/Clerk to the Council : Paul Thomas
The Old Bakehouse | Harlestone | Northampton | NN7 4EP
harlestoneclerk@btinternet.com

Environment and Management Committee Meeting

19:00 on Wednesday 21st November 2018
Harlestone Village Institute NN7 4EH

MINUTES 001

- REMIT: *This committee will be responsible for the management of the Parish environment to ensure that it is tidy, presentable, free of litter and a place where we are proud to live.*
- DELGATED POWERS: *Decision making for low level items, with an expenditure limit of £150 per item subject to an annual cap of £1000.*
- DECISION MAKING: *At the sole discretion of the chairman, this committee can make decisions on low level items but on more important issues the committee will make recommendations to the full council.*
- STANDING ORDERS: *Relaxed on public debate to encourage participation from members of the Parish.*
- CRITERIA FOR THE E&M COMMITTEE: *Must be in line with the Conservation Management Plan and Harlestone Manor Parks and Open Spaces management company Green Belt.
Cohesive with the future Neighbourhood Plan.
Village rural nature preserved but not sanitised.
Consult with landowners, farmers and parishioners about our actions.*



ITEM 34. ATTENDANCE AND APOLOGIES

Chairman: Cllr Tim Cross

Cllr Russell Francis

Stella Westal

Mark Yoxon

Richard Dyball

Louise Mills

Stewart Clark

Sarah Gyde

- *Stewart Clark pre-planned unavailability*
- *Richard Dyball*

ITEM 35. APPROVAL OF MINUTES FROM THE PREVIOUS MEETING

Clarification of the minutes:

- *Action 3: East Lodge to opposite the Fox and Hounds*
- *Action August 2018: Sarah Gyde will be a Data Processing Officer (DPO)*

- *The committee agree that the minutes are a true and accurate account*
- *The Chairman signs the minutes*

ITEM 36. DECLARATION OF INTERESTS

- *No declarations of interest were offered by the members*



ACTIONS

4.1 July 2018

Consider what action to take in respect of the untidy/potholed parking area close to the entrance to Ivor's field and The Green.

Russel: I will action some Cotswold style signs to put on a raised verge for this area

EO: Althorp believe that they are responsible for this area of land, Highways believe they are, while there is some uncertainty with responsibility, no posts/ signs are to be erected.

Russell: we agreed that this area is not to be a carpark, we would like to restore the verge, acquiring top soil to level and fill the pot holes. The carpark sign at the church says church users only, can we remove this?

EO: This is a public car park for all to use.

Tim: We should make sure that the PCSO knows about this area.

EO: Althorp and the school to made aware that this sign is being considered to be removed.

Russell: We should consider a temporary sign to redirect cars to the HVI and Church Lane car parks, in the spring level the area with topsoil and seed, place no parking signs.

Mark: Any new signage for the Church Lane carpark should not be put on to the listed pillars at the entrance.

Tim: All new signage will be for a future agenda item.

- *Tim: we are waiting for the HVI committee to confirm that the car park sign will have the "Private" removed.*
- **Note: if a new sign is needed, the HPC will look to fund this.*
- *EO: permission has been given from the Estate to remove the private car park sign from the Church Lane car park. Mark to remove the sign and store.*
- *Stella: the HVI is heavily used when hired out at least 12 Saturdays each year and the car park is full. I worry that people will now park on the verges in upper Harlestone.*
- *Mark: the Church Lane car park has the same issues with the school, events, plays and funerals, it is a worry if we need to get emergency vehicles through.*
- *Russell: we are only looking at 3 to 4 extra cars relocating from Nursery Corner, this will be very minimal impact.*
- *EO: we could consider a very polite leaflet to explain the dangers of parking at Nursey Corner and to show the locations of the two car parks in Harlestone. We are probably looking at a small number of users.*
- *Tim: replacement signs will be considered in the future, Mark please monitor the traffic.*

- *Russell: proposal for the January HPC meeting:*
 - *To tidy up the Nursery Corner area*
 - *Will need 10-15 tonnes of top soil*
 - *Circa £160 + VAT per 10 tonnes delivered*
 - *Will need a team of volunteers to help*
 - *Cone off area to prevent cars parking the day before*
 - *Seeding to be done in March*
 - *Project to happen in the Spring*

- *Mark: could Loxtons Fields developers pay towards a new car park?*
- *EO: a car park was not negotiated through Section 106 money, but we have CIL money*



<p>that can be used for infrastructure in the parish.</p> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> • <i>Tim: this is another reason why we are campaigning for the closure of Port Road as we could see a flood of extra vehicles in the village from the new developments all looking for parking, this will need to be managed.</i> • <i>Russell: Hanging Houghton village have Highways signs to stop vehicles parking on the verges. This signage works well to protect the verges.</i> 	PENDING
<p>4.4 July 2018</p> <p><i>Russell: Raised the issue of wheelie bins with B.Halliday as this road looks like a permanent bin day. Need to consider the bins of the other residents.</i></p> <p><i>Russell: Just monitor and gently inform the residents.</i></p> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> • <i>Situation has improved.</i> 	CLOSE
<p>4.5 July 2018</p> <p><i>Tim: To look into costs for repeater signs/installation and visit the site to view the build-up of silt with a view to an annual removal plan. Nordis cost for 6 repeater signs is £188.82</i></p> <p><i>EO: Payment made to Nordis on the 27th September 2018</i></p> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> • <i>Tim: the Nordis signs have been delivered and will be installed shortly.</i> • <i>EO: the Estate have agreed the installation.</i> 	CLOSE
<p>5.1 July 2018</p> <p><i>EO to action 3 suitable external heated boxes to be purchased. Estimated cost of installation is circa £120 per box inc materials. Spend already agreed in the budget.</i></p> <p><i>EO spoke with Becky from the Fox and Hounds, happy to have installation on the front of the pub and understand, that that there will be a small electricity cost. The HVI installation will be on the rear of the building next to the car park.</i></p> <p><i>EO to contact R.Booth to check that this complies with the DDC rules/regs.</i></p> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> • <i>EO: looking for a suitable electrician, the Estate have agreed, conservation permission has been sought. The HVI location has been agreed by the committee, the pub location has been agreed by the pub manager.</i> 	PENDING
<p>5.2 July 2018</p> <p><i>Tim: Many Cllrs attended the recent cabinet meeting and there was a public outcry regarding salt bin filling, the NCC contract is going to be looked at again. HM requested a salt bin.</i></p> <p><i>Russell: I contacted the Golf Club to move the salt bin to Park Farm Barns.</i></p> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> • <i>EO: the salt bin has been moved to Park Farm, many thanks to the Golf Club for the bin and the salt.</i> 	CLOSE



5.3 July 2018

EO: Could we nominate salt bin wardens?

Tim: To drive round and list the numbers on the bins and then these numbered bins can be allocated to committee members.

- *EO: the HM salt bin and dog bins are being dealt with by the HM POS working party. Tim to email the bin costs to Cllr Denny.*

Salt Bin Wardens:

- *Mark 303 305*
- *Stella 306 308 309 1710*
- *Russell 307 2012*
- *Barry (TBC) Park Farm*

- *303/305 Church Lane*
- *306 Work House Bank*
- *308 near UH telephone box*
- *1710 Church Farm*
- *307 Rock Farm*
- *2012 Cross Hill*
- *309 TBC*

Salt Bin Policy/Management:

- *Wardens to contact Street Doctor to fill a specific bin*
- *Please email the Clerk with Ref No and date*
- *Park Farm bin and the extra UH bin will be an email to the Clerk to fill*
- *Clerk to collate and record the amount of salt used, details to be used for reference and for budgeting.*

CLOSE

6.0 July 2018

Cross Hill

Russell: No development from the NCC to remove the dying tree. Louise Mills is sorting the WW1 commemorative plaque.

EO: Althorp will supply an Oak Tree in a 45 ltr tub with a stake and a guard a week before the armistice event to commemorate the WW1 event.

**Note: The tree needs to be planted in November to make sure that it roots and survives; alternative locations could be at the HVI or at the playing fields.*

- *Tim: the tree is currently having a bat check, which can take up to 6 months.*
- *EO: E&M committee agree that the EO proceed with the planting of the tree to ensure that it will survive the winter. Ribbon cutting can be planned for the spring.*
- *Plaque: Louise to forward the wording to the Clerk.*

MOVE TO THE REVIEW SHEET



- **Note: the HPC website now has a WW1 Tab with photos of the armistice event, please email the Clerk with any photos that you wish to be added.*

August 2018

*Sarah: below is a framework to work with
Gain consents and permissions
Publicise awareness to get volunteers involved
Social media, website, noticeboards, area champions*

Upper Harlestone Champion – Sarah Gyde

Lower Harlestone Champion – Paul Thomas Executive Officer

Harlestone Manor Champion – Stewart Clark

Dates to be identified

Create a WhatsApp group

Equipment from DDC: litter pick kits for up to 20 people include: bags, hoops, grabbers, gloves and Hi-Viz

Need to let the DDC know where the full bags will be collected from, possibly the rear of the HVI

Initial meeting in the HVI carpark, briefing, H&S and hand out equipment

Agree max 2hrs at a time

Rural England – Risk Assessment Form to be completed

Be aware of dangerous objects including: drugs, syringes, glass and medical

De-brief at the end of the litter pick

Check any restrictions regarding speed limits of roads

Use of safety cones

First litter pick in October

Names and contact numbers of volunteers to be collected by S.Gyde and kept on record by the Clerk under GDPR regulations

Sarah: Leaflets have been delivered throughout the parish. We have 22 volunteers so far.

Kit booked with the DDC

Need to identify hot spots, arrange for the DDC to collect rubbish after the event.

Risk assessments have been downloaded and will be completed before the event.

100 Hi-Viz bibs have been ordered with a printed logo.

EO: To email locations to Althorp. To confirm the HPC has Public Liability and Employers Liability Insurance Cover for £10million each.

I believe that the council should reimburse Sarah Gyde for her leaflet printing costs.

Invoice to be presented at the December HPC meeting for authorisation. Committee agree.

**Note: Sarah Gyde will keep the volunteers contact details after asking for permission as the Data Processing Officer under GDPR regulations.*



- *The E&M committee congratulates Sarah Gyde on a well-run event!*
- *Champions will hold equipment for local use and will include Hi-Viz, litter picker tools, black bags and hoops.*
- *Sarah received many lovely emails of support.*
- *Thank you to Daventry District Council for the prompt collection of the collected waste.*
- *Future date to be planned for early February.*

Future Plans:

- *More helpers for the briefing*
- *Update the routes*
- *Provide tea, coffee, cakes*
- *Use a refuse collection vehicle on the routes*
- *Improve the maps of the routes*
- *A supervisor and a first aider to stay onsite at the HVI*

- **Note: a huge amount of fly-tipping in the parish has been removed by the Estate over the last month.*

CLOSE

August 2018

Stella: Dog Bin overflowing at the entrance to the Firs, is this facility adequate?

Stella: there is a super-sized dog bin here which is adequate. However, the general bin is just a black bin bag on a metal frame. As this is Althorp land would they consider a bin that would separate plastic, glass and metal as well as general waste?

Stella: To ask the DDC again if they service the bins and ask for a larger bin.

EO: Might it be better to consider a black and a blue wheelie bin?

- *Stella: a new bin will cost money and we could face an annual emptying fee of circa £260 Will need to be budgeted for.*
- *Action: Stella to research the cost of a new bin and confirm the emptying costs.*

PENDING

August 2018

EO: Althorp are fully aware that the HPC would like to take on the allotments; a contract will be drawn up.

EO attended a course designed to help Clerk's administer an allotment project. Two books were recommended. Membership of the National Allotment Society, this will help us with contracts, managing and the legal regulations regarding finances, land and disputes.



- *Althorp to draw up a contract*
- *The legal documents will go to the HPC for signing*
- *Need to consider the condition of the location*
- *Could the location be cleared by the Estate?*
- *Site visit to take place with the EO and Katie.W*

PENDING

August 2018

EO update:

The vegetation including Buddleias are hanging over the wall and across the path on the A428 opposite the Old House in LH. Weeds are overgrown in the Blacksmiths Yard.

EO: Althorp have scheduled the A428 area to be cleared with weather and Gigaclear traffic lights and road lane closures permitting.

- *Action completed*

CLOSE

SEPTEMBER ACTIONS

Action 1

Mark: The DDC Tree Policy is 8 years old, I will make contact to arrange a meeting to discuss the trees in the village.

Tim: Remember that Althorp do an outstanding job of managing trees in the parish.

Mark: meeting with the DDC on 31st October.

EO: a large population of trees in the village belong to the estate, all fall within the conservation area, you cannot cut down trees that have a diameter of 75mm at a height of 1.5m tall without prior consent from DDC and Althorp. This applies to all members of the council including volunteers and the public.

- *Mark: I met with Martin Wilson and Jane Parry of DDC, we had a good meeting.*
- *I want to put a tree policy together for the website to answer frequently asked questions*
- *How do we manage trees?*
- *Highways/trees*
- *Advice on how Harlestone residents could prune/fell trees and information regarding conservation*
- *Arrange a meeting with the Estate/EO/Mark to discuss the aims of the policy*
- *Action: Mark to email the meeting notes to the Clerk to forward to Katie.W*
- *Put together a guide of the trees in the village for walkers and visitors*

PENDING



- *New Action: EO to contact Gigaclear and the Post Office to make sure that the post box is put back in use again.*

Action 3

EO was asked to get quotes for the following areas to be strimmed and blown:

East Lodge to opposite the Fox and Hounds

Quote: £180 Russell proposes that this work is done, Mark seconds. Costs to come out of the POS budget.

Opposite the Old Bakehouse to the Bramptons (inc path cleared)

- *Quote: £180 committee agree*

From the LH bus stop to the Firs path clearance only

From the Firs to Harlestone Manor path clearance only

- *Althorp to confirm that they are happy with the above two path clearances being done by LGG Ltd? The paths at the front of the Firs will be reclaimed up to 12cm, will not encroach on Althorp land, strim and blow the pathways.*
- *Tim: this is a very busy footpath and road; this clearance is well worth doing.*
- *Sarah: the overgrowth is very dangerous for walkers, runners and too narrow for pushchairs.*
- *EO: this work will be funded from the POS budget pot.*

PENDING

Action 5

Could 4 areas be looked at for ownership/maintenance:

From the ford in LH up to Manor Farm, area needs tidying/clearing. (Althorp/volunteers?)

Opposite the Bakehouse along the path up to the Bramptons turning, path full of soil/weeds, overhanging foliage and the hedge at the top needs trimming.

(Althorp/Highways?)

Garlic Wood is full of piles of tree protectors (Althorp/volunteers?)

From the sty near the ford to the Golf Club lake (Althorp/volunteers?)

Althorp: please see the attached work schedule update Appendix A

- *The E&M committee would like to thank Katie and the Estate for the completion of the work on the Appendix A schedule.*

CLOSE



Action 7

Church Wall Stone Missing

The Chairman noticed stones missing during a village walk. G.Mortimer believes they could have been missing for many years.

Need to try and identify whether this is part of the Althorp wall or C.Clayson's wall and consider repairs.

Russell: the right corner of the Church Lane car park has a damaged wall that is in poor repair.

Tim: spoke with Colin and this seems to be an Althorp wall that has stones missing.

- Althorp has scheduled this wall to be repaired

CLOSE

Action 1 October Item 32

EO to purchase 6 spray cans for the dog fouling project

- EO: spray cans bought and distributed to the committee, future cans bought will be funded from the POS budget pot as business as usual.

CLOSE

DISCUSSION ITEMS

ITEM 37 (29). Committee to consider the following project to be put forward to receive a Daventry funding grant

EO: what kind of projects can this grant fund?

Projects considered/discussed to get funding for:

Russell: wrote a report on 2 walls that are Althorp's responsibility. These walls are located along New Road next to the quarry and near Virginia Cottage. Perhaps the grant could be used to rebuild these walls.

Tim: Highways have totally dismissed the idea of speed humps through Upper Harlestone so this is a non starter.

Stella: I will get a quote for a gravel path with wooden siddings

Russell: I will look into funding for wall repairs

- Russell: I have looked into the criteria of this funding and it knocks out walls because you have to own the land that you apply for. The HPC would still have to fund at least 50% of any costs.



- *Tim: Historic walls at risk fund details to be forwarded to RF, subject to Althorp approval.*
- *Stella: I will get a quote for a gravel with wooden edging to be laid from Nursery Corner to the kissing gate. Althorp's views?*
- *Russell: making pathways mud free and managed could encourage more walkers and visitors with there vehicles to the village*

ITEM 38 (30). Village Walk No.3 Harlestone Manor

Chairman: update and possible actions needed

- *Tim: 2 dog bins and a salt bin location have been identified*

ITEM 39. General Maintenance

(Grass cutting of verges, open spaces, maintenance of hedgerows, footpaths/bridleways, litter collection, dog fouling)

Give Way sign positioned at the top of Golf Lane on the A428 has faded and needs replacing. Reported to Street Doctor. Urgent

- *Give way sign replaced with a new one- completed.*

Russell: I will start a maintenance program report that other committee members can add items and their own reports, to include walls, gates, lighting, salt bins, signs, trees.

Tim: A new bin on Manor Farm Lane is being considered, owners and Althorp will need to be contacted regarding a suitable location.

A new bin near Virginia Cottage will also be considered, I will consult with the local residents to make sure that this is suitable.

- *Tim: signs around the village are looking tired and dirty, I would like to consider a volunteer group to check all signs and report back to the committee.*
- *Russell: I have put together a maintenance program for the village to tackle walls, verges and hedgerows. We need to clear walls, remove ivy, cut back verges and look at hedges.*
- *Mark: it would be good to add footpaths and car parks to this maintenance program.*
- *E&M to purchase a wheel distance marker to help identify the size of areas and justify maintenance quotes.*



- *E&M members agree to fund the clearing of leaves in the Church Lane car park at the cost of £150 from the POS budget pot.*
- *EO: I would like to remind the committee that some posts need replacing on the Green, the committee agree to this being done, Tim to communicate with Richard regarding the installation*
- *Tim: note for the SPOC/PCSO that dangerous parking has been reported near Ideal Tanks on the Rugby Road*

ITEM 40. Dark Nights, Fight Back, Keep Britain Tidy

“We’re Watching you” campaign to stop night fouling using glow in the dark technology

- *EO: this is signage that can be used in secluded and dark areas of the village. These signs light up to remind people that we are aware and managing these areas.*
- *Stella: this project would work well alongside the spray can project.*
- *EO to email all members the link to this signage project*

Meeting Duration: 3hrs 7mins

**Note: Environment and Management meetings will now take place every other month, alternating with the Safety and Protection meetings.*

<i>Road/Village Signs</i>	<i>Chairman</i>
<i>Dog Bins</i>	<i>Stella</i>
<i>Grass mowing/verge maintenance/hedgerows</i>	<i>Russell</i>
<i>Footpaths/bridleways</i>	<i>Louise (Reporting Role)</i>
<i>Inventory of Parish fixtures and fittings</i>	<i>Executive Officer</i>
<i>Grit Bins</i>	<i>Chairman</i>
<i>Noticeboards</i>	<i>Executive Officer</i>
<i>Litter Bins (HM)</i>	<i>Chairman</i>
<i>Trees</i>	<i>Mark</i>
<i>Walls</i>	<i>Russell</i>
<i>Traveller Risk (HM)</i>	<i>Stewart</i>
<i>Harlestone as a visitor attraction/management</i>	<i>TBC</i>
<i>Litter Picks</i>	<i>Sarah</i>
<i>Althorp</i>	<i>Executive Officer</i>
<i>Golf Club</i>	<i>Russell</i>



*Note: volunteers working in the village on behalf of the HPC **MUST NOT** use mechanical/machinery including mowers, strimmers and chainsaws*

**Next Meeting Dates:
2019
16.Jan
20.Mar
19.Jun
19:00 at the Harlestone Village Institute**

Paul Thomas – Executive Officer
Dated: 16th December 2018

Signature:

Executive Officer/Clerk: Paul OR Thomas

Signature:

Chairman: Cllr Tim Cross